For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- (Ephesians 2:8)

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

An Audience of One

Deuteronomy, Joshua and Psalm 4!  

Deuteronomy honestly wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be!  I was struggling through Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers so I'll admit, my attitude wasn't too great heading into Deuteronomy but I really enjoyed it!  In my bible (ESV Study Bible... best purchase of my life btw!), it gives an introduction to each book of the bible and part of the intro for Deuteronomy made total sense to me!  It related to something I put in my last post about application of the Old Testament laws.  It says:

"The ethical application of OT law is a complex issue. There is no one rule that will cover the ethical application of all the laws in Deuteronomy; each law needs to be handled on a case-by-case basis. While many OT laws will not be kept by Christians to the letter, the laws embody important and abiding principles for Christian ethical behavior. Sometimes those OT principles are modified in the NT; often they are reinforced. For instance, the sacrificial system finds its fulfillment in the cross of Christ, but the principles of OT sacrifice are still instructive for Christians.As a further example, the laws that define sexual morality and the principles underlying those laws are unchanged in the NT. Indeed, Jesus shows the deeper intent of the laws on sexual matters in the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 5:27–30). However, the laws in Deuteronomy on warfare are not repeated for the NT church because God’s people are no longer a nation and the land to be inherited is now heavenly (1 Pet. 1:4). Nonetheless, the principles of maintaining the holiness of God’s people and of God judging sin remain unchanged.It is important to recognize that there are different kinds of laws and rules in Deuteronomy. Many of the specific laws, especially those that detail penalties that judges are to impose, do not intend to spell out the ethical ideals for God’s people; their main function is to set the minimum standard of behavior needed to protect Israel’s theocracy. The “perfection” (Ps. 19:7) of these laws consists in the way they preserve the social fabric of the theocracy. The ethical ideals for God’s people ultimately come from the creation pattern (the “image of God”) and from the goal of community holiness. (See the note on Deut. 24:1–4 for an example.) In addition, Deuteronomy constantly addresses the “heart” of its audience: embracing this law, seeking the good of this people, is the right response to God’s grace and the embodiment of virtue."
And then, after reading this, everything seemed to make a little more sense!  Why don't we have to sacrifice for sin, peace, offering, etc. anymore?  Because the ultimate sacrifice was already give for us when God sacrificed His only son, Jesus, for our sins!  Thank you God!  Keeping that in mind while I read through Deuteronomy, I was thinking about them more individually and how I could apply them to my life on a day to day basis.  One of the greatest laws that was given to Israel in Exodus but later renewed in Deuteronomy was the 10 Commandments (Exodus 20 & Deuteronomy 5).



Easy enough to follow right?? Yeahh... maybe not as easy as we may think.  As I was thinking about it, I realized just how often I break God's rules... and that my friends, is not a fun feeling to have.  Super convicting.  As I thought about it more, I realized that I break #10 on probably a weekly if not daily basis.  Wishing you had something that belongs to someone else?  Yep.  I'm sure we've all been guilty of it.  Whether it's a phone, car, clothing, house, gaming system, book, etc., we've all wanted something that someone else had and we didn't.  It's really hard in today's day and age to not be this way.  We live in a society where you need to have the latest and greatest in order to function properly and if you don't look a certain way... you're told you're never going to succeed in life.  It's hard but we need to just be completely happy with what we have and know that although what we have (or don't have) may describe us, it doesn't define us.  Our identity is solely in Christ.  That's something I'm really working on living :)  My mentor keeps drilling it into my head every time I talk to her and I think it may finally be starting to sink in :P (Thanks girl!! You know who you are!  Keep reminding me :P)  Definitely going to be more conscious in my effort to be content where I am and with what I have!  Phillipians 4:11 says, "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content."  <----- New words to live by!  Feel free to let me know if you catch me not doing this! 

Also while reading Deuteronomy, there appeared to be a reoccurring theme... Fear God.  I can't even remember how many times I recall reading that throughout Deuteronomy.  This struck me as weird though... I haven't ever felt myself "afraid of God" per say.  Deuteronomy 6:1-2 says that fearing God is the greatest commandment.... hmmmmmm... gonna have to do some thinking about this one!  (Feel free to leave your comments on this!  I'd love to hear it!)  

In Deuteronomy another reoccurring theme is shown and it's a good one to remember!  God keeps all His promises.  It's seen throughout the books prior to Deuteronomy but especially in Deuteronomy and Joshua.  The Promised Land is finally given to Israel, all their enemies are given into their hands, they are blessed beyond their wildest dreams!  And God continues to keep His promises to them despite the fact that the people of Israel are all sinners!  How amazing is our God!?  When I was thinking about this passage later on, I realized that we, as followers of Christ, have a Promised Land awaiting us in Heaven.  Israel was promised:  "For the Lord your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, flowing out in the valleys and hills, 8 a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive trees and honey, 9 a land in which you will eat bread without scarcity, in which you will lack nothing, a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills you can dig copper. 10 And you shall eat and be full, and you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land he has given you." Deut. 8:7-10  and I believe that that is promised to us if we follow Christ.  So, like Israel followed Moses and then Joshua and God's promise of the Promised Land was fulfilled even though they sinned, so will His promise of heaven be fulfilled for us even though we sin as long as we repent for our sins.  Gotta love application!

One of the greatest things I came across in Deuteronomy was 21:23 "his body shall not remain all night on the tree, but you shall bury him the same day, for a hanged man is cursed by God. You shall not defile your land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance."  This reminded me of something I was taught during FOCUS (conference through DiscipleMakers Christian Fellowship at college).  Joel Martin talked the first day about "The Blessedness of Communion" and one of his final points related right to this verse.  It still baffles me to this day... It's said that every man who hangs on a tree (or is crucified) is cursed by God.  Well.... wasn't Jesus hung on a tree?  So he was cursed.  Joel said that "He succeed and was cursed, and we fail and are blessed."  How is that?  That my friends, is God's love shown for us.  It blows my mind that someone can die for a bunch of people that aren't even thought of yet and gets a curse put on him yet me... little old me who is a sinner beyond my own comprehension... is blessed.  Woah.  That's all I can really say... This song about sums up my feelings on the topic..

How Great is Our God-- Chris Tomlin



Looking into Joshua now, I enjoyed this book until they started tossing around a bunch of really hard to pronounce city names and telling of land boundaries and yeah... that's where it was a little dry and hard to read.  But Joshua holds one of my favorite stories of the bible... The Battle of Jericho (Joshua 6)  And I truly think there is no greater depiction of this than Veggie Tales with the french peas and the slushies... (favorite Veggie Tales EVER! Mom and I still watch it :P) If you haven't seen it... please go watch it! Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyxeXj9bAHY  But what makes that Veggie Tales so awesome is the memorable song from it... "Keep walking but you won't knock down our wall"  (yep. now it's stuck in your head.  You're welcome!)  



Although this song is catchy and adorable, an awesome lesson is hidden between the lines.  Why did Israel walk around Jericho?  Because God told them to.  And even though the citizens of Jericho may have thought that they were pretty stupid because of it, they did it anyway!  So if God tells us to do something, no matter how silly it may be or how foolish we think (or others think) we may look doing it or how scared we may be, we need to "keep walking"  or as Dory says "just keep swimming!".  Because in the end, God's the only one we have to answer to so if He tells us to do it, then let's go do it!  We just have to persevere and have faith that God knows what He's doing!  If He brings us to it, then He will bring us through it!  And when He brings us to a "battle" (evangelism, discipleship, etc.), "One man of you puts to flight a thousand, since it is the Lord your God who fights for you, just as he promised you." (Joshua 23:10).  So when we are put in these situations, it's not us undertaking this, it's God.  He's fighting this battle for us and ultimately, the battle has already been won for us!  So what do we have to lose??  We are free to live recklessly for Him!  And that my friends... is an awesome feeling :) 

Finally, Psalm 4.  I don't have too much to say on it but I really related to verse 7 of Psalm 4. I can't even begin to express how much happier I am now that I fully committed my life to following Christ a little over a month ago. The little things in life don't bug me like they used to and I don't go a day anymore without smiling. Yeah things are still tough sometimes but with Christ, I have "more joy in my heart" than I have ever had before! It's an amazing feeling :) ♥  

So, what am I trying to say here?   In the end.. I feel like this can all come down to... Who are you trying to please?  Are you trying to live to please those around you?  Yourself?  Or the one who's opinion really matters?
Your identity is in Christ my friends, so live for Him!  The battle has already been won for you!  Living for Him bring about an awesome sense of freedom and a love for life that I can't even begin to express!  The joy is literally overwhelming and an awesome plus... fellowship <3  Making some pretty awesome friends that will last more than a lifetime!  

So get out there and live! 

No comments:

Post a Comment